I’m a Security Awareness Advocate at KnowBe4. As part of my job, I regularly speak on topics related to security awareness and privacy behavior. I continue to provide expert advice on smart home privacy, data protection, and product design.
Previously, I was a research consultant at VDI/VDE Innovation + Technik GmbH. My team managed a research funding program in Cyber Security. I also was a doctoral student with the Centre of Doctoral Training (CDT) in Cyber Security, hosted at the Department of Computer Science, University of Oxford and supervised by Prof. Ivan Flechais and Dr. Helena Webb.
Martin has spent the past 10 years researching and working at the intersection of people and technology. Not only does he care deeply about the ways in which technology can improve lives, but is also critically aware of the societal impacts this can bring about.
Martin’s doctoral research concerns privacy in human-centred-computing. His thesis explores, unpacks, and designs for the social organisation of smart device use in the home to empower privacy in familial (communal) settings. To this end, he has worked with members of the public in ethnographic, interview, and co-design studies. His main contribution is a framework that serves to empower people through product innovation by sensitising designers and researchers to the ethical challenges of communal use and privacy in the home.
Before starting his research career, Martin enabled large enterprises to empower their workforce and engage with their customers by extending core business processes to mobile smart phone applications. His consulting roles included developer, system architect, and project manager.
Striving to provide solutions to complex challenges, Martin is an efficient communicator, a fluent presenter, and an avid team player.
- Security Awareness Advocate – KnowBe4 Germany GmbH, since 2023
- Research Consultant – VDI/VDE Innovation+Technik GmbH, 2021-2022
- Doctoral Researcher / Teaching Assistant – DPhil (PhD) in Cyber Security, University of Oxford, 2016-2022
- Master’s Student – MSc Computer Science, The University of Edinburgh, 2015-2016
- Technology Consultant – SAP (Schweiz) AG, 2012-2015
- Bachelor Student – BSc Business Information System, Cooperative State University Baden-Wurttemberg (Mannheim), 2012
- Trainee – Business Information System, Sales and Consulting, SAP SE, 2009-2012